Welcome to the latest addition of Weekly Wisdom. You actually won’t find a lot of wisdom over here, but just some arbitrary thoughts that don’t deserve a whole blog post. Feel free to play along in the comments section! But first, let’s cover dinner.
I have loved my crockpot for many years, but fell in love again this fall. When you cook about four nights per week, it really comes in handy when you’re just not feeling the whole saute/roast/simmer thing. I prepped one of our favorites, Honey Sesame Chicken, around 2:30 p.m. yesterday and let it cook for four hours.
I paired it with some sautéed snow peas and broccoli that were dying a slow death in the fridge. This stuff is gooooooood.
Plus, it makes a ton of leftovers which is always a win in my book. Now on to the fun part of this post, Weekly Wisdom.
- Cats on bags – seriously, why do they do this? Those are two different bags on the same day. I’m convinced if I put a plastic bag in the bathtub, he would find it. Do dogs do this???
- Icing Smiles – I recently read about this nonprofit organization in my November issue of All You Magazine. They accept “cake requests from parents of children with life-threatening conditions and match them with nearby bakers, professionals and amateurs alike.” Growing up in Louisville, my mom and I used to bake for the local Ronald McDonald House, and I’ve been on the lookout for something similar in Chicago. I’m planning to sign on as an amateur baker (obvi), but I’m hoping they know my cakes usually turn out like this:
- This completely sane guy who chose to be eaten alive by an anaconda for fun. I’m all for having a bucket list, but no. Just no.
- Leann Rimes’ Christmas album is amazing. Christmas songs + country music? Yes please. People can say what they what about girlfriend’s personal life, but I will always love her voice.
- Wild comes out on Friday! It’s one of my favorite books and I think Reese is the perfect person to portray Cheryl Strayed. I will have to bribe Bobby with candy because he doesn’t really want to see it 🙂
- Coyotes in Chicago. This is a real thing. And they’ve learned to look both ways when crossing the streets.
- I’m considering quitting Class Pass. It was a head-over-heels love affair at first, but I’m just not using it as much as I thought I would, making the cost not worth it. I really LOVE Fly Wheel and Exhale yoga classes, and I hate that I can only attend each three times per month.
Post-Fly Wheel sweat!
- I’m not the only social worker graduating in two weeks that doesn’t have a job. One of my classmates sent around a survey asking people about their job status. I feel a little better that I don’t have gig lined up since lots of others are in the same jobless boat.