I sit here on this last day of 2014 with a reflective and optimist outlook. There is nothing like the start of a new year. It gives us a profound sense of shiny newness, the inspiration to set goals and a renewed sense of optimism. If days of the month were colors, January 1st would be so bright and shiny that it would blind us like the sun. Instead of recapping 2014, which had both its peaks and valleys, I want to look ahead to the new year and highlight what I am most looking forward to.
- My week-long trip to Florida in January. In less than a week, I’ll be soaking up the sun with my favorite women – my mom, aunt, cousin and sister-in-law – without a care in the world. If that’s not the best way to ring in 2015, I don’t know what is.
- Passing the Licensed Social Worker exam. Like the boards for nursing, I need the LSW to be considered a social worker. I will likely take it in early February and can’t wait to have that weight off my shoulder.
- Growing in my career as a therapist. Step one is finding the right job. Step two is working my butt off, affecting the lives of others and developing my skills. This will be the year of the career for me!
- Making money again. I haven’t worked a paid full-time job in over two years. I am more than ready to grow a savings account, have spending money and enjoy little luxuries that make me happy – like regular pedicures. 🙂
- Becoming more involved in my sorority alumnae association. I sit on the board of the Kappa Kappa Gamma Chicago Loop Group, but actually haven’t done a whole lot since joining last May.
- Celebrating two years with Bobby. It feels like we’ve been together for a lifetime, but it will only be two years in April. He brings a heck of a lot of joy into my life and this anniversary will be an exciting milestone.
- Developing and growing The Magic Tree. I have so many goals for the blog that sometimes it feels overwhelming. Must narrow them down.
- Becoming a morning exerciser. When working full-time in the past, I discovered that hitting the gym first thing in the morning was key to my productivity and sense of accomplishment all day. When I find a job, 6 a.m. workouts will happen, no matter how long it takes to get in the habit!
- Possibly, maybe, if all goes as planned, getting a dog. We are both animal lovers and would love to add to our fur family in 2015. I haven’t poled Baxter yet to see how he feels about a new sister or brother.
- Taking one or two mini-trips. In almost two years as a couple, Bobby and I have never taken a vacation together. We’ve been to Louisville a handful of times and Colorado to visit family, but nothing that’s just the two of us.
So cheers to 2015! May it bring to us all a sense of accomplishment, joy and peace. I look forward to sharing the next year with you.
Have a happy and safe New Years Eve. ❤