Single or taken, I have always loved Valentine’s Day. What can I say? I am a girly-girl who loves pink, glitter and a candlelight dinner (and I love to rhyme?).
Valentine’s Day really crept up on me this year. I can remember every detail of last year’s holiday of love, mostly because it was my first Valentine’s spent with Bobby. Instead of a fancy night out, we decided on homemade pizzas and wine. We bought dough from Whole Foods, googled a sauce recipe and topped the pies with our favorite combo: pepperoni + sausage + all kinds of cheese.
I remember listening to the Al Green station on Pandora whilst whipping up a heart-shaped buttercream-frosted cake for my love. Inspired by Pinterest, I was so excited to try this fancy schmancy dessert and impress Bobby with my baking skills. However, my creation quickly took a turn for the worse when it fell apart in the pan and the icing morphed into a watery mess. I tried to salvage what I could, but ended up with my most embarrassing baking attempt of all time.
We still laugh so hard about the heart-shaped cake from hell. In all fairness though, it tasted divine!
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I wanted to share some homemade treats that have been inspiring me lately. I always turn to Pinterest or my recipe binder when I want to create something special. After last year’s disaster, I probably shouldn’t bake another cake. However, I also feel the need to redeem myself and I have a vintage cake stand that is collecting dust. We shall see!
- XOXO Cake
- Heart Box (literally the best idea ever, in my opinion)
- Strawberry Lemonade Sparklers <– I made these for a “Gal”-entine’s party a few years back and they are amazing!
- Conversation Cookies <– if someone knows how to make cookies like this, call me.
Questions for you:
- Any good Pinterest disaster stories?
- Do you and your significant other have a V-Day tradition?
- For you single ladies, “Gal”-entine’s plans?