Hi friends! The Workout Log was updated today, so head over there if you’re interested to see how I’m trying to stay active these days.
I’m sharing one of my staple recipes towards the end of this post: crock pot shredded chicken. But first, let’s rewind a bit to the weekend.
It’s no secret that Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. I am all about that chocolate, pink, and quality time with my love. This past weekend did not disappoint. Instead of captioning each individual photo, I’m just going to provide you with a vertical slideshow. Sound good?
I hope your Valentine’s Day was spent with the one(s) you love, or curled up with yourself and a good book/movie/glass of wine/full DVR.
Each Sunday, as part of my regular meal prep, I throw three chicken breasts, some chicken broth and a couple spices into the crockpot and forget about it for six hours. What comes out is extremely tender chicken swimming in fragrant broth, ready to be shredded into pieces.
We keep the shredded chicken in a large tupperware container and dig into it during the week as an addition to salad, in Mexican fajitas or baked into a pasta casserole. As I think about it, it’s the most versatile thing in our fridge!
CROCK POT SHREDDED CHICKEN
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Line crockpot with tin foil or liner to minimize clean up.
- Place all ingredients in your crockpot. There is no need to mix everything together; the crockpot does all the work.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork and add to tupperware container with 4 spoonfuls of remaining chicken broth mixture.
**Keeps for five days in the fridge!
Filed under Holidays, Recipe
Good morning, my friends. Happy Friday the 13th – so spooky! It does feel great to finally have Friday upon us.
What are your plans for the weekend? We’re headed to a a concert with friends tonight, and tomorrow we have brunch plans with Bobby’s family, but are staying in for a romantical night of homemade pizzas on Saturday. I’m definitely looking forward to some downtime.
Enough small talk; let’s get right to your regularly scheduled posting, Favorite Finds Friday. It’s here that I share anything in my life or from around the web that has made me laugh, cry, think, covet or drool over the past week.
What’s your favorite find from the week? I’d love to hear form you!
- Valentine’s Day. How do I not include the upcoming holiday in my list this week? Bobby and I plan to exchange inexpensive gifts, and this year we’re continuing the tradition of making dinner and dessert at home.
My lone decoration
- Dark chocolate almond milk. I originally saw Heather drinking this stuff most nights after dinner, and I was inspired to give it a try. I’ve been enjoying the chocolate milk for dessert or as a post-workout recovery drink.
- When you eat allthecookies.
- The sweetest video where a seal wiggles out of the water to hug a dog.
- A fascinating perspective on how your name affects your success in life. <– Take it with a grain of salt for sure. You’re more likely to work for a company that matches your initials? Umm…
- 50 pictures that look JUST like my childhood. <– For fellow Gen-Yers, how accurate is this?!
Thanks to Running 4 Cupcakes for the link up!
Single or taken, I have always loved Valentine’s Day. What can I say? I am a girly-girl who loves pink, glitter and a candlelight dinner (and I love to rhyme?).
Valentine’s Day really crept up on me this year. I can remember every detail of last year’s holiday of love, mostly because it was my first Valentine’s spent with Bobby. Instead of a fancy night out, we decided on homemade pizzas and wine. We bought dough from Whole Foods, googled a sauce recipe and topped the pies with our favorite combo: pepperoni + sausage + all kinds of cheese.
I remember listening to the Al Green station on Pandora whilst whipping up a heart-shaped buttercream-frosted cake for my love. Inspired by Pinterest, I was so excited to try this fancy schmancy dessert and impress Bobby with my baking skills. However, my creation quickly took a turn for the worse when it fell apart in the pan and the icing morphed into a watery mess. I tried to salvage what I could, but ended up with my most embarrassing baking attempt of all time.
We still laugh so hard about the heart-shaped cake from hell. In all fairness though, it tasted divine!
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I wanted to share some homemade treats that have been inspiring me lately. I always turn to Pinterest or my recipe binder when I want to create something special. After last year’s disaster, I probably shouldn’t bake another cake. However, I also feel the need to redeem myself and I have a vintage cake stand that is collecting dust. We shall see!
- Heart Box (literally the best idea ever, in my opinion)
Questions for you:
- Any good Pinterest disaster stories?
- Do you and your significant other have a V-Day tradition?
- For you single ladies, “Gal”-entine’s plans?
Filed under Baking, Holidays